Berkeley's long and proud history has given rise to many traditions, rallies and rituals. Learn about the experiences that become a part of every Golden Bear's time at Cal.


The campus colors of blue and gold were chosen in 1873 - blue for the California sky and ocean and for the Yale graduates who helped establish the university, “黄金之州”." The women of the classes suggested using both colors.


Trustees of the College of California stood on the north side of the campus near the corner of Hearst Avenue and Gayley Road on April 16, 1860, and dedicated the property as the future campus. A memorial tablet was placed on the stone in 1896.


大的“C” in the hills above campus was built in 1905 by the 1907 and 1908 classes. Sophomores were responsible for keeping the C clean and painted gold. On the night before a Stanford game or coast championship, the C was guarded through the night.


在1914年的大赛上, colored cards supplied to Cal fans were held up in the rooting section according to direction to make a pattern. Over time card stunts became more elaborate, 包括“卡尔的剧本”," in which a huge "Cal" appeared to be written.


In 1895 a 12-man track team became the first Cal team to compete outside the state. They carried banners with the state’s emblem, a grizzly bear, in gold. The athletes won several meets, and the Golden Bear became the mythical guardian of the university.


Beloved mascot Oski was named for a cheer that began, "Oski wow wow! 威士忌凌晨凌晨!" Originally, real bear cubs served as mascots, but their growth posed obvious problems. Oski as we know him debuted at a 1941 freshman rally.


In 1961 the students requested that the week before final exams become “Dead Week,,九卅娱乐会员登录现在称之为雷丁, 复习与复习周. Quizzes, projects and activities are not scheduled to allow time to study and prepare for exams.


The tree in front of the Wheeler Hall steps was a favorite meeting place for students between 1917 and 1934, when the oak had to be removed because of its age. The tree was so missed that another oak, and a bronze plaque, was planted in its place.


Soon after the Student Union complex opened in 1960, the nearby fountain became the favorite spot of a German short-haired pointer named Ludwig. Ludwig spent every day in the fountain, and in 1961 it was named in his honor.


The 胜利的大炮 was donated by the class of 1964 in time for the 1963 football season. The gun appeared at all home games and was fired at the Big Game whenever the football team scored a touchdown or 安全, 射门得分或赢得比赛.


二年级的草坪 is the grass between California Hall and the Valley Life Sciences Building. Sophomore men would gather on the lawn to haze freshmen, who retaliated by burning their class numerals in the lawn at night. These days it’s a nice napping place.


The stone ball in front of the Campanile is more than a century old, 但这个传统是较新的. Just a few years ago, students began referring to the sphere as the "4.0球." Rubbing it before taking an exam is considered good luck.